Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Located in the Northern part of Tanzania and famous to host Big five (Elephant, Lion, Buffalo, Leopard and Africa Black Rhino and it is comprises a large Volcanic Caldera as a largest and un flooded / unbroken caldera in the world. About 20kms across, 600 meters deep and 300 sq kms in the Area, the Ngorongoro Crater is the breathtaking Natural wonders. The area was established in 1959 as a multiple land use area, with wildlife co-existing with semi-nomadic Maasai pastoralists practicing traditional livestock grazing.
FACTS ABOUT NGORONGORO CONSERVATION AREA
- It is a world’s largest spectacular Caldera with abundance of wildness.
- A place where human being and wild animals co-exist together.
- Approximately 2.5 million years ago, Ngorongoro Crater was a huge volcanic mountain probably similar or more to the presently Kilimanjaro Mountain size. Later this changed when the top of the mountain collapsed in on itself due to natural changes of the Earth materials, resulted to the present largest volcanic Caldera in the world.
- A place believed to be the origin or development of human evolution due to various Archeological findings made by Archeologist at Olduvai Gorge and Laetoli footprint.
- Ngorongoro Crater within Ngorongoro Conservation Areas designated in 1979 as a world heritage sites under UNESCO.
- Approximately, more than 42,000 Maasai tribe members living within the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, they are pastoralists and they are still preserving and practicing their authentic culture in their day to day life.
- Within Ngorongoro Conservation is where Olduvai Gorge lies, where Dr Leakey first discovered the remain of” hand man” (Homo Hablis), Skeleton shown initial stage of human evolution due to this evidence proves that humans originated in Africa and specifically at Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania. Real objects or replica including various Artifacts has been exhibited and showcases at Olduvai Gorge museum same applies to Arusha Natural history museum in Arusha town.
HOW TO GET THERE:
By road, most of safari begin in Arusha by driving heading to Ngorongoro Conservational Area and most of the vehicle used is well designed 4X4 Toyo Land cruiser or Safari jeep with a pop up roof for game viewing and photos taking while on game. Accessible also by road from others Northern Circuit destinations.
By Plane, Ngorongoro is also accessible by small plane either schedules or chartered which fly from Arusha Airport (ARK) to nearest Airstrips like Lake Manyara Airstrips or Ndutu Airstrip, domestic flights ready operating are Auric Air, Coastal Aviation, Air Excell as well as Regional Air .There is also a connection from both northern circuit destinations to Ngorongoro as well as southern circuit destinations.
WHERE TO STAY
Lodges & Hotels
- Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
- Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
- Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
- andbeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
- Rhino Lodge
Tented Camps. Semi-permanent/seasonal Camps (Western Ngorongoro)
- Ndutu Safari Lodge
- High land Ngorongoro Camp
- Lemala Ngorongoro Camp
- Kirurumu Ngorongoro Camp
- Ang’ata Ngorongoro Camp
- Tanzania Bush Camp
- Entamau Nomad Camp
To do & Activities
- Game drive within the Crater tour
- Water falls visitation & eco tours
- Olduvai Gorge-earliest skull of Zinjatropus discovered, human evolution etc
- Laitoli footprints-Footprint of early Hominids, human being discovered
- Walking safaris etc
- Picnic lunch
- Bush lunch can be arranged